Italy Travel Notes presents:
by Alex Reed
Lake Iseo, Bergamo, Valle Camonica and Montecampione represent a unique and unrivalled area of Italy so close to the main Ryanair hub of Milan Bergamo yet so unspoilt. Combining Skiing in Montecampione, the breathtaking beauty of Lake Iseo and the attractions, activities and landscape of the Alpine Camonica Valley. All three locations are close together with Montecampione sitting just above Valle Camonica and just north of Lake Iseo.
Lake is Iseo is 16 Km’s long, 250 mts deep and boasts the largest inland Island in Europe and one of Italys top twenty voted port towns (Lovere).
When I first visited BERGAMO I found myself wondering why I’d never heard of it before. Verona, Bologna, Naples are all of International renown…yet Bergamo has something very special to offer which for me eclipses the beauty of many other cities. Why….well in simple terms, the lack of fame makes it quieter and less tourist infested and in addition it’s not a big city so less crowded….but it’s more than that ofcourse….
So here are my 5 reasons to visit Bergamo.
1) The walled high town with its castle, University, cable car, cobbled streets, pedestrian area and varied restaurants offering beautiful views out over the plains of Northen Italy.
2) The excellent shopping area to be found in the low town.
3) The superb location, 10 mins from Milan Bergamo airport (Ryanair Hub) and 40 mins by train from Milan.
4) The hinterland that includes lakes, mountains and varied activities.
5) It’s history and culture rival that of any other Italian town (perhaps with the exception of Milan, Florence and Rome)
LAKE ISEO is my favorite lake, tucked into the Alps just behing Bergamo…so many reason to switch from lake Garda to lake Iseo…Here are my top 5
1) It’s large (16km long) yet not so large you can’t see the other side !
2) It’s cheaper and less touristy…so a real slice of Italy.
3) So much to do from Windsurf to Ferry boating, canoeing, sailing, sunset in Iseo town.
4) It includes two of Italy’s most beautiful villages (that’s official…both voted in top 20) Lover at the top and Iseo town at the bottom.
5) Location, Location, Location….Close to Bergamo, near Montecampione ski resort (winter), and behing is the stunning Camonica Valley full of even more activities including multi pool complexes, treetop rope park, horse riding, Golf, Go karts and much more.
For a full detination report visit the link
Bergamo, Lake Iseo Guide
About the Author
Born in Uganda and raised in the UK. Having spent some time living in Hong Kong and the USA moved to Italy were married with two children. Commercial consultant for Intenational business devlopment
More about Bergamo:
For your Italy travel to discover even more about what Bergamo has to offer and find out what your fellow travellers think of the city here: